Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Contentment

"Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs." 1 Timothy 6: 6-7


This passage has me asking myself, "What do I chase after?  What is that one thing that I think I can't live without."


I often watch home improvement type shows.  I love to get ideas about the home.  While I do learn sometimes, often it can be a distraction from what's truly important.  Let's just say, it's easy to want more when I see more and dream more as I watch certain shows.  Also, I feel a tension as I see people searching for the PERFECT house or vacation house.  I get frustrated with the materialism all around and know that I am no exception.


Maybe it's time to be more guarded in the shows that I watch knowing that they impact my level of contentment. This is, after all, more important than having the perfect updated kitchen.


There is only one thing worth chasing, one that I cannot live without.  Lord, teach me to chase after you!


"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails