Monday, April 12, 2010

There is a reason

Yet another song that I LOVE and that applies to all of us who struggle and have pain.  The lyrics are awesome and something I have thought about posting about.


I've seen hard times and I've been told
There isn't any wonder that I fall
Why do we suffer, crossing off the years
There must be a reason for it all

I've trusted in You, Jesus, to save me from my sin
Heaven is the place I call my home
But I keep on getting caught up in this world I'm living in
And Your voice it sometimes fades before I know

Hurtin' brings my heart to You, crying with my need
Depending on Your love to carry me
The love that shed His blood for all the world to see
This must be the reason for it all

Hurtin' brings my heart to You, a fortress in the storm
When what I wrap my heart around is gone
I give my heart so easily to the ruler of this world
When the one who loves me most will give me all

In all the things that cause me pain You give me eyes to see
I do believe but help my unbelief
I've seen hard times and I've been told
There is a reason for it all

I don't know if I can really add anything to what she has written.  I just know that my life echos this song and that there is a reason for pain. One analogy is that of our senses in our hand.  If we did not have pain sensors to tell us when we were handling something of harm, say a hot pot or a sharp object, we would constantly be burning ourselves or cutting ourselves beyond repair.  The pain is there to warn us of greater harm.  It hurts, so we remove from the source of pain.  It hurts, so we apply balm to clean it and prevent infection.
In the same way, if we did not have pain, we would not know our need for a Savior.  The need would be there, but we would never cry out to him. Our hearts would continue into danger and become infected and fester with the things of this world.  We would be lost and perish without ever coming to the Healer, the Balm, the one who binds our wounds.  In contrast with our pain, the promises of God shine all the more brilliant.

In addition, our suffering makes us question and long for a life that is so much different.  We were created for a different life. One far beyond anything we can comprehend.  There is so much more in store for us.  Christ has come and will come once more to bring us to our true Home.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Psalm 84

                                      1 How lovely is your dwelling place,
                                             O LORD Almighty!
 2 My soul yearns, even faints,
       for the courts of the LORD;
       my heart and my flesh cry out
       for the living God.
 3 Even the sparrow has found a home,
       and the swallow a nest for herself,
       where she may have her young—
       a place near your altar,
       O LORD Almighty, my King and my God.
 4 Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
       they are ever praising you.
       Selah
 5 Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
       who have set their hearts on pilgrimage.
 6 As they pass through the Valley of Baca,
       they make it a place of springs;
       the autumn rains also cover it with pools. [b]
 7 They go from strength to strength,
       till each appears before God in Zion.
 8 Hear my prayer, O LORD God Almighty;
       listen to me, O God of Jacob.
       Selah
 9 Look upon our shield, [c] O God;
       look with favor on your anointed one.
 10 Better is one day in your courts
       than a thousand elsewhere;
       I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
       than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
 11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield;
       the LORD bestows favor and honor;
       no good thing does he withhold
       from those whose walk is blameless.
 12 O LORD Almighty,
       blessed is the man who trusts in you.



Related Posts with Thumbnails