Thursday, February 25, 2010

A twist to "I Plead the Fifth"

"So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant,  being born in the likeness of men.  And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." Philippians 2: 1-8

Often we have heard people say, "I plead the Fifth,"  when they wanted to remain silent about something to preserve innocence.  Lately I have been telling my flesh, "I plead Philippians 2."  Now before you start to think more highly of me than you really should let me try to explain.

This week I have been confronted with some of my selfish, sinful tendencies.  I won't divulge the details (which may be a little confusing), but basically I had been putting myself before others, setting unhealthy expectations and demands without really thinking about their needs before my own.  I prayed and struggled a lot with God about looking to Him first for my needs to be met.  I also realized that I didn't have a Christ-like attitude that considered others better than myself.  I'm not saying that friends cannot be a help, but that they shouldn't be my main source of help, for it is actually God at work through them.  My friends have been a God-send to carry me through all of this pain as God works through His Body. 

To carry me through this struggle, I claimed Philippians 2 over my flesh. It says that we are to have the same mind of Christ and that His mind is actually ours if we are in Christ (see emphasis).  So anytime that I would think thoughts that were selfish and not seeking others' interests over my own, I would confront those thoughts with, "I plead Philippians 2."  I would remember that it is not about me, I'm not the only important one, Christ laid down His life, I can lay down mine too.  This has helped me in my battle this week.  God's Word is truly living and active.  It is a powerful weapon for us to use in our battle against sin.  I thank God for His power at work in my heart.  Even more than "I plead the Fifth," gives you the power to be silent, "I plead Philippians 2" has given me the power to silence sinful thoughts of the flesh.

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails