Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Ocean

I have been to the beach more times in the past few weeks than I have in the three years I've lived in Florida.  When times get tough, the ocean almost beckons me out of the house.   As the cool sand sifts through my toes and the sunlight radiates warming my skin, the pounding of the waves sings to my soul.  Breathing in the fresh ocean air, I gaze out to the horizon in awe and wonder.  Sometimes I may sing songs to my Lord.  Other times I simply let myself be quiet as God's handiwork reminds my innermost heart of His goodness and refreshes my spirit.

Exhausted and empty, I found myself at the beach today.  Lately I have been fighting sleep and have been restless.  I have been feeling like something is missing.  Something is not quite right.  This is not the way that it is supposed to be.  Within my heart lies an undercurrent of pain and longing that can be so draining on days like today.  I know that I am not alone in this feeling.  

"For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies."  Romans 8:22-23

I would put the whole chapter here, I LOVE Romans 8, but that would make for a really long post.  But thankfully, next Paul talks about hope, the Spirit who helps us in our weakness, and then later about Christ and His love for us, from which we cannot be separated.  Really, you should read it!

Oh Lord, my hope and trust is in you.  Though I cannot see you I am waiting for you and trying to be patient.  Thank you for your Spirit that helps me in my weakness and prays for me when I have no words to pray.  Lord, we need you to come make things right.  I long for you to come and bring me home as your child. Renew my strength as I wait on you.

"Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus,
Vast unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me, 
is the current Of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward to
Thy glorious rest above!

Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus,
Spread His praise from shore to shore!
How He loveth, ever loveth, changeth
never, nevermore!
How He watches o'er His loved ones,
died to call them all His own
how for them He intercedeth, watcheth
o'er them from the throne!

Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus,

'Tis a heav'n of heav'ns to me
And it lifts me up to glory,
for it lifts me up to Thee!"







1 comment:

Christina said...

I think the ocean reminds us that God is so much bigger than us and that He knows things we don't and that we can rest in Him. The One who calmed the seas is with you to calm the seas you are in. Keep looking to Him!

Related Posts with Thumbnails